Sophos Utm Home Edition Installation
With Sophos Unified Threat Management, you can create policies for threats and view reports which shed light on risks. The Sophos Utm home edition installation is quite simple and can be done via the ISO image on a CD or a USB stick. You can control several modules such as web protection, email protection, network protection, etc., from a single application.
Sophos Utm Home Edition Setup
To set up Sophos UTM Home Edition, follow these guidelines below. After Sophos Utm home edition installation, it prompts you to enter an IP address in the web browser's address bar.
- Step 1:Type it and press Enter. The Sophos dashboard appears.
- Step 2:On the Basic system setup page, key in theHostname, company/organization name, City, passphrase, confirm passphrase, and admin account email address. Select your country from the drop-down list. Check all the details entered on this page and then click the I accept the license agreement checkbox. Click Perform basic system setup.
- Step 3:When prompted to enter theSophos UTM username and password, make sure that you enter them correctly and then clickLogin.
- Step 4:The Sophos setup wizard page loads. Click the Continue Radio button. Click Next for Sophos UTM home edition setup.
- Step 5:Locate the License file and open it when the License installation page loads during Sophos Utm home edition installation. ClickNext.
- Step 6:Enter theInternal LAN IPaddress and choose an appropriate netmask from the drop-down list.
- Step 7:TheInternet Uplink (WAN)Settings page loads. Select an ethernet interface from the drop-down list and then select an Internet uplink type. Click Next.
- Step 8:Click theSet up internet connection latercheckbox and click Next for Sophos UTM home edition setup.
- Step 9:The Allowed Services screen appears. Select the services which you want to allow and choose the appropriate option from the Ping Settings section.
- Step 10:Click both checkboxes in the Advanced Threat Protection Settings screen and then click Next.
- Step 11:The Web Protection Settings screen appears. Click the Scan sites for viruses checkbox. Select the checkboxes beside the options in the block access section, (the ones which need to be blocked) and then click Next.
- Step 12:The Email Protection Settings screen appears. Click theScan email fetched over POP3 checkbox and select Next. (You can click theConfigure internal mail servercheckbox and configure it if required.)
- Step 13:The Thank you for completing the Sophos UTM home edition setup wizard screen appears. ClickFinish.
Sophos Utm Home Edition Usb Install
Follow these guidelines to install Sophos UTM on your computer via a USB stick.
- Step 1:Download Sophos UTM ISO from the manufacturer's official site and save it to a specific folder on your computer.
- Step 2:Insert the USB stick which you want to install Sophos UTM bootable from into your computer and wait until the computer detects it.
- Step 3:Download Rufus USB utility from the manufacturer's site and run it as an administrator. This application helps you create a bootable drive from the Sophos UTM ISO for Sophos UTM home edition install.
- Step 4:The Rufus interface appears. Go to the Format Options section and select ISO from the Create a bootable disk usingdrop-down list for Sophos Utm home edition installation.
- Step 5:Choose the Sophos UTM ISOpath. Click the Quick format and Create extended label and icon files checkboxes. Set MBR as the partition scheme, and FAT 32 as the file system. Enter a name for this volume label. ClickStart.
- Step 6:Power off the computer and detach the USB stick. Power on the computer, attach the USB stick, and press F9 or F12, whichever of these buttons you need to press to enterBIOS. (This appears across the screen when booting the computer.)
- Step 7:A welcome message and a warning message about Sophos UTM are displayed on the screen during Sophos UTM home edition install. Press Enter. The gray and blueIntroductionscreen appears. At this stage, press Alt + F2(ALT and F2).
- Step 8:Type this command without quotes.
"mount/dev/sdb1 /install" for Sophos UTM home edition install
- Step 9:Return to the gray and blue screen by pressing Alt + F1 (Alt and F1)
- Step 10:Press Enter when Start is highlighted. Once Sophos UTM is installed, remove the USB stick and reboot the computer.
Sophos Utm Home Default Password
Sophos Utm home edition installation does not have a default password. However, to set the password, type
'https://<the IP of your UTM HOME>:4444' in your browser's address bar and press Enter. Set the UTM password for web admin and save the setting.
Sophos Utm Home Use Firewall
The Sophos Home Use Firewall is a freeware that can be downloaded from the manufacturer's official site.
This Sophos application has all the firewall features that the Sophos UTM firewall has including safe surfing, spam filtering, access to the device via VPN from anywhere, encrypted tunnel between work and home, etc.
Sophos Utm Home No Appliance Hardware Has Been Detected
While installing Sophos UTM Home on your computer, if you encounter the Sophos Home UTMno appliance has been detected issue, follow the guidelines below to resolve it.
- Step 1:The Sophos UTM ISO that contains the letters' ssi' at the beginning is for Sophos branded appliances.
- Step 2:If you need to install Sophos UTM on virtual machines or non-Sophos branded hardware, download the Sophos UTM ISO that contains the letters' asg' at the beginning of the file name.
- Step 3:Burn this Sophos UTM ISO to a USB stick with Rufus or any other similar application and use the USB stick as a bootable drive for Sophos Utm home edition installation on your computer.