Sophos Home Firewall
The Sophos home firewall can block internet security threats and control data to the internet. This behaves as the gateway of network and secures the system from malware, vulnerabilities in the web page applications, and advanced targeted attacks. This firewall can increase the bandwidth of the internet, secures the kids when they are surfing, can troubleshoot the spam mail problems, and can open the home network from anywhere. The Sophos firewall is completely equipped with the software version of the Sophos UTM firewall which is available at no cost for the users at home.
How To Install Sophos Xg Firewall Home Edition
Perform the steps to download and install Sophos XG firewall home edition.
- Step 1:First to begin Sophos home firewall installation, open a new web browser and go to the manufacturer’s site.
- Step 2:Sign into the account with the Sophos ID. If you don’t have an account, create one.
- Step 3:Once signed in, click the My Sophos button and then click the Network protection option.
- Step 4:Now, download the installers. From the Hardware installers, select Firewall OS for the XG series.
- Step 5:Click the Download option to download the installer.
- Step 6:Now, accept the terms and conditions and then click the Submit button.
- Step 7:The ISO image will now start to download. Now, create a bootable USB stick.
- Step 8:Make sure to insert a USB stick with at least 4GB of memory into the computer to install Sophos XG firewall.
- Step 9:Now, launch the manufacturer’s site and download the upgraded version of the Rufus tool.
- Step 10:Once the Rufus tool is downloaded, start it by clicking on it.
- Step 11:Choose the variant ISO image that is located next to the ‘Create a bootable disc using:’ option to install Sophos home firewall.
- Step 12:Next, choose the downloaded ISO image of the SFOS that is next to the pull-down list.
- Step 13:Now, from the Custom size, choose 8192 bytes and then type the volume in the Volume label.
- Step 14:Click the Start option to format the USB stick and then make sure to copy the SFOS image.
- Step 15:Choose Write in DD Image mode when prompted.
- Step 16:The next step is to install the SFOS on the SG appliance.
- Step 17:First, connect the SG to a screen and then connect the USB stick to install Sophos XG firewall.
- Step 18:After the connection is done, turn on the Sophos home firewall.
- Step 19:After the SFOS installation is done, you can find the message ‘remove installer Disk-press y to reboot will be displayed.
- Step 20:Next, start with the SFOS wizard.
- Step 21:First, start with the necessary connections.
- Step 22:Connect the system through the LAN 1 port of the SG firewall software using a network cable to install Sophos XG firewall.
- Step 23:Next, type the PC’S IP address.
- Step 24:Now, launch a new browser tab and then go to the Sophos web interface through the IP address.
- Step 25:The Welcome screen will appear. Initiate the configuration steps by clicking the Click to begin option.
- Step 26:Now, proceed with the on-screen prompts to complete the configuration process.
Sophos Xg Firewall Home Edition Setup
Proceed with the instructions below to setup Sophos XG firewall Home Edition.
- Step 1:First, create a Sophos ID. If you already have an ID, proceed with the other steps.
- Step 2:Launch a new web browser tab and go to the manufacturer’s site.
- Step 3:Next, click the Log in icon on the main screen and choose Create Sophos ID.
- Step 4:Now, type the required details in their respective fields and then click the Register button on Sophos home firewall.
- Step 5:A verification mail will be sent to the email address that you registered to setup Sophos XG firewall.
- Step 6:Make sure to create a strong password and sign in with the new Sophos ID.
- Step 7:Again, open a new web browser and go to the manufacturer’s site.
- Step 8:Now, download the latest XG Firewall getting started guide.
- Step 9:Ensure that the firewall is connected to the Internet on port 2 to setup Sophos XG firewall.
- Step 10:Set up the firewall software on your computer.
- Step 11:For that, enable the DHCP to get an IP address from the firewall.
- Step 12:Turn on the Sophos home firewall and then wait for the system to start.
- Step 13:Once the device is done with the starting up process, then you can go to the admin console.
- Step 14:To launch the admin console, go to the Sophos XG firewall and enter ‘admin’ as the username and password.
- Step 15:Accept the End User License Agreement. Now, register the Firewall with the Sophos ID account.
- Step 16:First, on the welcome screen, click the Basic setup button.
- Step 17:Enter the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS, and all the required details and then click the Save Changes button.
- Step 18:Now, wait for the firewall network configuration to get updated correctly.
- Step 19:Once the process is done to setup Sophos XG firewall, you can continue with the initial setup.
- Step 20:Make use of the wizard to set up the basics. Select the Gateway mode as the deployment mode.
- Step 21:Next, configure the interfaces on the device. Port 2 will be WAN as it was set up earlier.
- Step 22:Now, proceed with the DNS configuration. Next, set up the Sophos home firewall rule.
- Step 23:In the Mail server configuration window, enter the email address, port, and all the necessary details.
- Step 24:The final step is to set the Time zone, choose the correct time zone from the drop-down list to complete setup Sophos XG firewall.
- Step 25:Check for all the details about the configuration and then click the Finish button.
- Step 26:Click OK to restart the computer with the new settings.
Sophos Xg Firewall Home Edition Password
- Step 1:The Sophos XG firewall home edition username is admin, and the password is also admin.
- Step 2:To change the password of the administrator, sign into the Admin Console as an administrator.
- Step 3:First, click Administration and then select Device Access.
- Step 4:Now, go to the Default Admin password settings section, and type the default password and then the new password you wish to use. Enter the new password again for confirmation.
- Step 5:Click the Apply option to save and set the new password for Sophos home firewall.
How To Add Domain User Account As Administrator
Perform the following steps to add domain user account as administrator.
- Step 1:Log into the computer using the administrator credentials. Right-click the My Computer icon on the main screen.
- Step 2:Go to the System Tools Local Users and Groups Group.
- Step 3:Next, right-click the Administrators and then choose Properties.
- Step 4:Type the username which you want to add by clicking the Add button.
- Step 5:Next, click the check names button to check whether the user name is correct.
- Step 6:Once done with the process, click the OK button.
How To Setup Country Blocking
Perform the following guidelines to setup country blocking.
- Step 1:First, install the pfBlocker package from the manufacturer’s site.
- Step 2:To start with the process, visit the World Area tab to setup country blocking.
- Step 3:Choose the Countries that you want to block.
- Step 4:Now, choose the Action that you have applied before.
- Step 5:The Disable option will turn this feature off. Use the Deny or Permit option to disable or enable traffic origin using the IP address, respectively.
- Step 6:Once the settings are done on Sophos home firewall, click the Save button.