Norton email security
Norton Email Security works by scanning unencrypted emails that are sent to your email inbox, either through POP3 or IMAP. However, for encrypted emails via Secure Socket Layer, the mails are not scanned when they enter your inbox.
When you open an email attachment that is potentially hazardous to your computer, Norton detects the threat and prevents it from infecting your computer.
If you turn off this Norton's email security feature, you might get alerts saying that your computer is unprotected. You can ignore it if your email is configured for an SSL account. If there is no email account configured on your machine, you need not worry about this alert.
Norton security alert email
If you receive a security alert email from Norton, you can do a couple of checks to verify the authenticity of the email.
A domain name is something that looks like abc.com, bcd.org, xyz.net, etc.
- Step 1:Check the domain name of the site that you have received the email from.
- Step 2:Generally, emails from Norton arrive from addresses, such as
- firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com
- Step 3:Make sure that you do not click untrusted or suspicious links in your email to avoid data from being misused or stolen.
- Step 4:Also, ensure that the URLs start with the word string https as opposed to http, which is unsecure.
- Step 5:By following these guidelines, you can avoid falling prey to phishing attacks, which are quite common.
On a side note, a Norton security alert appears when you have not enabled Email Scanning on your Norton application.
How to turn off the email scanning feature in norton security suite
To turn off Email scanning in Norton email Security, follow these steps.
- Step 1:Open the Norton Security Suite and view the options on the dashboard.
- Step 2:Click the Options button and select Norton antivirus.
- Step 3:Navigate to the Internet option and select Email.
- Step 4:Go to the What to scan option and deselect the Scan Outgoing Email feature.
- Step 5:Select OK.
- Step 6:Email scanning is now disabled on the Norton Security Suite.
Norton internet security blocking outgoing email
If you encounter an outgoing email block when using Norton Internet Security, follow these steps to resolve the issue.
- Step 1:This issue is, in most cases, caused by a bug in the security feature called outgoing email scan.
- Step 2:Follow these steps to disable the email scanning feature on your Norton application.
- Step 3:Open the Norton Internet Security application and navigate to the Open option located beside Device Security.
- Step 4:Click it and then select Settings.
- Step 5:Click the Antivirus option located under Settings.
- Step 6:Go to the Scan and Risks tab. Then, click Configure.
- Step 7:Locate the What to scan section and deselect the Scan outgoing email messages option.
- Step 8:Select Apply. Go to the Security Request window and choose Permanently from the drop-down list. Click OK.
- Step 9:Click the OK button located in the Email Antivirus Scan dialog box and click Close to complete the Norton email security..