Can't Turn On Windows Defender Firewall
Without Windows Firewall, your computer might get into danger every time you connect to the Internet. It is always recommended that you keep Windows Defender Firewall enabled all the time. If you can't turn on Windows Defender Firewall, you have to resolve the issue as quickly as possible to stay protected online. Some of the solutions to solve the problem are listed here:
- Step 1:Restarting the Windows Defender Firewall service
- Step 2:Editing Windows Registry
- Step 3:Resetting your Windows Firewall settings
- Step 4:Running troubleshooters
Now, let’s discuss some of the above methods using which you can enable (or turn on) Windows Defender Firewall:
1. Checking your Windows Defender Firewall Service’s Properties:
The Windows Defender Firewall service aids in safeguarding your computer by preventing unauthorized access while you are using the Internet or any similar network. To restart this service, follow the steps given here:
- Step 1:On your computer, press the Windows key and the R key simultaneously. This action will open the Run dialog box.
- Step 2:In this dialog box, type in services.msc and then press the Enter key.
- Step 3:You will now find a list of services on your screen. Next, scroll down the screen to locate the Windows Defender Firewall service.
- Step 4:Right-click Windows Defender Firewall. Then, from the contextual menu that appears, select the Properties option.
- Step 5:The Windows Defender Firewall Properties window will now pop up. In this window, ensure that the Startup type is set to Automatic. Also, make sure that the Service status is Running.
- Step 6:Finally, you can click on the OK button to close the window.
- Step 7:Follow these steps to configure can't turn on Windows Defender Firewall.
If the above method does not fix the issue, go on to the second one:
Editing your Windows Registry:
In Windows operating system, the “Registry” is a collection of databases. Please remember that if you make incorrect changes to the Windows Registry, it will damage your operating system irreversibly. Now, you can make use of the following steps to edit Windows Registry:
- Step 1:On your computer, open the Run dialog box. Type in regedit in the box.
- Step 2:Press the Enter key.
- Step 3:Now, follow this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
- Step 4:Under Services, locate the BFE key. Right-click the key and from the options that appear, choose Permissions.
- Step 5:The Permissions for BFE window will now pop up on your screen. In this window, locate and click on the Add button.
- Step 6:In the empty text box under Enter the object names to select, type Everyone.
- Step 7:Click on the OK button.
- Step 8:From the drop-down provided for Group or Usernames, choose Everyone.
- Step 9:Now, select the checkbox next to the Full Control option.
- Step 10:Finally, click on the Apply button and then close the Registry Editor.
- Step 11:Restart your computer.
- Step 12:Turn on Windows Defender Firewall. Hopefully, the problem should have been solved by now.
We have now seen a couple of methods to resolve the Can't turn on Windows Defender Firewall issue.